Our history of innovations and acquisitions UK
In 1891 the Kerr Company is founded as a partnership under the name of Detroit Dental Manufacturing Company. The Detroit Dental Manufacturing Company opens up to the European Market in 1893.
In 1909 KaVo is founded in the Steglitz sector of Berlin by Alois Kaltenbach with the motto, "Quality and precision."
In 1919 Richard Voigt becomes partner, and "KaVo" becomes the official company name.
In 1940 the company name is officially changed to Kerr Manufacturing Company and introduces a complete line of Precision Casting Equipment.
In 1958 KaVo launches its first turbine called Borden-Air 60.
In 1961 Kerr launches the market-leading temporary resin cement, Temp-Bond. KaVo develops the first dental panoramic X-ray, ORTHOPANTOMOGRAPH™ OP1, by Instrumentarium Dental.
In 1970 Pelton & Crane, a future KaVo Kerr company, launches the Light Fantastic operatory light. Meanwhile, Kerr acquires part of the McShirley line of products, adding Amalgamator and Spheraloy Dispenser to its portfolio in 1971. The Sybron Dental Product Division is formed in 1978.
In 1984 the Herculite composite is introduced to market. In 1983 Gendex launches the gold standard GX-770™ intraoral x-ray system.
In 1992 OptiBond dental adhesive is launched. In 1993 Kerr expands its line of high quality curing lights with the acquisition of Demetron. In 1998 KaVo introduces the DIAGNOdent, a revolutionary technology for the early detection of caries.
In 2001 Kerr acquires Hawe Neos — now HQ for Kerr in Europe, the Middle East and Africa — to enhance its offer of prophylaxis consumables. KaVo becomes part of Danaher Corporation, laying the foundation of the future KaVo Kerr dental platform. In 2004 Gendex joins the KaVo Kerr portfolio. In 2005 Pelton & Crane, a dental operatory equipment manufacturer with a 100-year history in North America, joins the KaVo Kerr family along with DEXIS, a leader in digital intraoral radiography. In 2006 Kerr becomes part of Danaher Corporation. The same year, prophy paste Cleanic in Tube is launched. In 2007 the i-CAT award-winning cone beam 3D system becomes part of KaVo Kerr. In 2009 Instrumentarium Dental and Soredex imaging brands also join KaVo Kerr. In the midst of acquisition and new partnerships, Kerr launches NX3 best-in-class universal permanent cement.
In 2010 Kerr launches the first sonic-activated bulk fill composite system, SonicFill. In 2011 the ORTHOPANTOMOGRAPH™ OP300, a true 3-in-1 imaging solution, launches under Instrumentarium Dental. In 2012 NOMAD™ handheld X-ray joins the dental platform. Kerr goes on to acquire DUX Dental and Vettec Inc., adding to its portfolio leading solutions such as PeelVue+™ sterilization pouches, and Bib-Eze™ disposable bib holders. In 2015 Total Care, Axis SybronEndo and Kerr reorganize into a strong, unilateral organization: Kerr Dental.
In 2017 KaVo introduces an expanded product portfolio in North America that includes innovative treatment units and advanced Imaging solutions, all under the KaVo name. This same year, the KaVo Kerr organization is launched, officially bringing together the two global leaders under a common mission to inspire and help our customers, their patients and our own associates realize their potential.