When to Perform Hand Hygiene?
- When hands are visibly soiled.
- After barehanded touching of instruments, equipment, materials and other objects likely to be contaminated by blood, saliva, or respiratory secretions.
- Before and after treating each patient.
- Before putting on gloves.
- Immediately after removing gloves.
- Surgical hand scrub is performed before putting on sterile surgeon’s gloves for all surgical procedures.
Source: Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Infection Prevention Checklist for Dental Setting: Basic Expectations for Safe Care, Page 6, https://www.cdc.gov/oralhealth/infectioncontrol/faq/hand.htm